Yoga & Horseback Riding Retreats for Women
For all levels of yoginis and equestrians
If you’re on the fence about Cowgirl Yoga, just do it. Don’t hesitate. Stretch yourself physically, emotionally and soulfully, as I did, with the horses, yoga and people in this irresistible Montana setting. You will never meet finer, more caring people than Margaret (the brains behind CY), Janice (horse woman extraordinaire) and their compatriots (like the beautiful, agile yogini Autumn, the gifted chef Kate, and, of course, our honorary cowgirl Ron). Meet freshly-minted Cowgirls from all over the country! Learn to apply the sacred yogic principles of stillness and being in the moment to the sacred beings known as horses. During CY, I added many ‘firsts’ to my catalog of life experiences, and for that I will always be grateful.
Experience the unbridled joy of Cowgirl Yoga for yourself. It is an enduring state of mind.
- Denise, North Carolina, pictured with RC
August 8-11, 2013 (thursday-sunday)
Just added! September 26-29, 2013 (thursday-sunday)
Cowgirl Yoga 3-night retreats
Single room: $1,595 per person
Double room: $1,495 per person
Smaller double (with pull-out twin bed, this room recommended for friends): $1,395 per person
For doubles, we will place you with a roommate if you do not have a travel companion. A non-refundable deposit of $500 is due to hold your reservation. To better plan your travel (not included in the retreat cost), we begin the retreat at 5 pm on the arrival Thursday and end at noon on Sunday. We also offer an add-on trail ride on the Monday following the retreat; you must arrange your own accommodations for Sunday night (of course we will offer plenty of suggestions!)
Featured in Yoga Journal, June 2009: Cultivate an intimate connection with a four-legged friend, and with yourself.
Imagine a long weekend of yoga and horses - a girl's dream come true. Explore how both can put you in touch with your potential and teach you a lot about yourself. We'll practice yoga, spend time with horses, and kick up our heels in cowgirl-friendly Bozeman.
Come join fellow wanna-be cowgirls for yoga and fun in and out of the saddle under Montana's legendary Big Sky. We'll explore the link between yoga and riding to improve not only your saddle skills, but also your overall well-being. Through yoga poses and breathing techniques we will learn how to improve balance and body alignment. Best of all, experience how the horse-human connection deepens as you practice yoga. We'll take all that out on the trail and ride with new friends both human and equine on scenic mountain trails, immersing ourselves in nature and the cowgirl yoga spirit.
The Cowgirl Yoga program includes:
- 3 nights of lodging at Bozeman's best B&B Fox Hollow
- Daily yoga classes that build body awareness and help foster an openness of body and mind - the best state to be in around horses - and that target common trouble spots for riders, such as the back and hips, and pay special attention to cultivating core strength (the center of the body's energy)
- Use of the Hammam (eucalyptus steam room) before or after yoga classes held at the Loft Spa in downtown Bozeman, plus a discount on spa services scheduled for before/after the retreat
- Cowgirl Yoga 101 lesson, covering horse-human interaction, grooming, and groundwork basics (required for all levels of equestrians)
- Riding sessions and bonding time: our time with the horses will be both in and out of the saddle
- Pre-ride yoga in the saddle: a focus on yogic breathing will foster a relaxed yet alert posture on horseback, and we'll explore a variety of yoga poses you can do when riding to instantly release tension and relax you (and your horse!)
- Field riding and/or riding out on some of the area's most scenic trails (add-on trail ride)
- Fun games on horseback to showcase your new riding skills
- Health and wellness discussions, meditation, intention-setting & journaling
- Healthy local fare, including a Cowgirl Cookout and evening ride with the CY herd, and a dinner with our own private chef Kate, who will also give a talk on healthy and sustainable eating
- Opportunity for CY glam shots with photogapher Larry Stanley.
- OPTIONAL ADD-ON TRAIL RIDE will be the Monday following the retreat (August 12, 2013 and September 30, 2013); this is typically an all-day ride in the Bridger mountains and includes lunch and yoga on the trail. Please note that we work up to this ride all weekend during the retreat, to ensure a safe and enjoyable trail riding experience; if you have any concerns about your riding skills please chat with us prior to signing up. $150 per person. You are responsible for your own lodging Sunday evening; suggestions will be included in your orientation packet.
This retreat is based in Bozeman, Montana and lodging will be at the Fox Hollow Bed & Breakfast - TripAdvisor's #1 Rated Bed and Breakfast in Bozeman. Now in their 17th year hosting over 16,000 vistors to Montana from all over the world!
Visit the Athleta Chi and read:
More recommended reading:
Pack your jeans & cowgirl boots (or come early to shop for some at Murdoch's) and get ready for a once in a lifetime experience! Yeehaw and Namaste.
You will need to rent a car for this retreat, or we can put you in touch with your roommate/other retreaters to possibly rent together. We highly recommend adding on a day or two in either Bozeman or Livingston, and are happy to make suggestions based on your interests and travel plans. Both places make great starting points for visiting Yellowstone National Park, a frequest add-on for our retreaters.
Bozeman is sophisticated Western chic meets college town. Great shopping, dining, and some of the best hiking trails in SW Montana. Ask us for suggestions!
Livingston is caught between very cowboy and very hip. Tons o' cute shops and restaurants, and celebrity sightings are common. They call its location "Paradise Valley" for a reason. A visit to nearby Chico Hot Springs is a must, and our Cowgirl Yoginis love staying at the Murray Hotel.
Things to know before you go,
or actually...before you book
Horses: safety is our top priority. Height and weight restrictions do apply; please call to discuss if you have any concerns. In general, 175-195 lbs. is our max for horseback riding (also depending on your height).
Yoga: we highly recommend that you have prior yoga experience in order to get the most out of your retreat, even if you start a practice with the retreat in mind. We practice vinyasa flow yoga. We're happy to help you with class suggestions for your area.
This is an active vacation, so if you prepare accordingly you will have more fun.
Thank you so much for a healthy, active, balanced, peaceful, refreshing, life-changing retreat. The experience gave me a new perspective on friendship and connection between women, the wisdom and power of horses, the strength resulting from being gentle with our body and soul, vast beauty and being present at all times.
- Becky, Indianapolis
Cowgirl Yoga: An experience of enlightenment on the yoga mat and horseback. A journey every yogini should take!
- Linda, Oregon
It was the best time. I enjoyed every moment. The Montana Big Sky, gorgeous regal horses, those beautiful Bridger Mountains, the sweet smell of pine trees, amazing yoga, amazing food, and simply the feeling of cantering through the open fields on your new favorite horse...there is nothing like it. Riding a horse at that speed makes me feel alive. I have said it before but it is worth repeating...Thank you for one of the best vacations of my life...I will cherish the memories.
- Rebecca, Maine
It was an absolutely indescribable experience! Margaret and Janice led us on a life-changing adventure. Rocky - the horse I was blessed to spend the week with during our retreat - taught me how to connect with being present and in the moment again. Cowgirl Yoga enabled me to be strong and true to the people I love when I returned home to meet my 2-day old nephew in intensive care, and days later when my mom had a stroke. No words can explain how thankful I am for my week in Montana. I strongly recommend anyone with an interest in yoga and horses to go visit and experience CY for yourself - I am SO glad I did!
- Jess, Connecticut
Just want to thank you guys again for the great week of yoga and horses. Even though we were knee deep in activities, it is one of the few vacations from which I returned actually relaxed and ready to hit the work week.
- Mindy, Chicago